Navigation

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Recipe - Baked Peanut Butter Tofu Salad

This is a super easy dinner I made, I thought I'd share it with you in case you need to make a meal in a hurry. It's possible to prepare the tofu the night before, it gives it more time to absorb the flavours of the marinade, which is always a good thing!

Tofu Marinade
1 tbl Sesame Oil
3 tbl Peanut Butter (I used crunchy, it gives a nice texture, and anyway, it's my favourite!)
Juice of one orange, freshly squeezed (if it's not very juicy, use 2 oranges, you need about 1/3 cup)
1 tbl honey
Cayenne pepper to taste (a pinch is enough if you don't want it too spicy)
500g packet firm or extra firm tofu

Whisk all of these ingredients together in a bowl, they look a little gross, but they are yummy, trust me! you could also add some finely grated ginger for some extra flavour, I didn't have any on hand.
Chop the firm (or extra firm) tofu into small-ish pieces, I went with bite-sized for my salad. I used 500g of tofu, which is a standard packet. You should marinade for at least 20 minutes, the longer you marinade, the more flavours are absorbed.
Once the tofu has become tasty, line a baking tray with foil, and spread the tofu out in a single layer. Bake in a moderate oven (180ºc or 350ºf) for approximately 15 minutes, turning after 7-8min. My oven is a bit weird, so watch your tofu as it may need less time, and it's no good if it burns, which can happen quickly thanks to the oils and the sugar in the honey. It also depends on how thick/thin your tofu pieces are.

Salad
Well, I mean, it's salad, do whatever you want! For mine, I used some fresh leaves (Cos Lettuce), sliced yellow capsicum, thinly sliced cucumber and some sautéed veggies.

Sautéed Veggies
1 ripe tomato, sliced into thin strips
1 red onion (small - or half a large one) finely sliced
1 large green or red chilli, finely diced
1/2 tsp Garam Masala

This part is easy! Throw the tomato, onion, chilli and garam masala into the pan (yep, that's everything) and sauté for about 5 minutes, until they soften and become fragrant.

After that, just pop it all into your bowl and nibble away! This served two, but I had a fair amount of tofu left over for a midnight snack.

I know it's probably not salad weather for you if you're in the Northern Hemisphere, but it's a good salad in that most of it is warm, so you can tolerate it more in the chilly weather. Also, it's delicious thrown on a slightly toasted wrap and eaten that way, especially if you use spinach leaves for your salad.

What do you think? Do you have any favourite tofu recipes? I'm trying hard to eat more salad (at least one meal per day) and would love ideas on veggie options that are filling. I don't like eating too much tofu, so it gets tricky. I'd love to hear your thoughts :)
Kitty
xo

*I use non-gm organic tofu, and everything else is organic except for the sesame oil and cayenne pepper. I like to use organic produce where possible, especially for my leafy greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Etsy