Navigation

Thursday, January 3, 2013

My arms are open wide...


It's possible you've had enough of the "Happy New Year" "These Are My Goals" posts. I'm afraid you might just have stumbled across another one. Bear with me, I'll try not to get too mushy. 2012 was a bit of a funny year, I feel like I worked extremely hard, and I'm not sure what it achieved. It's almost as though I've been swimming upstream, which is never productive, rewarding or useful. I lost one of my best friends, my dear Hobbes, so soon after losing my dear Chibi cat. It might sound silly to some, but I'm sure others understand that the loss of your fur-babies is not trivial and it honestly knocked me around a bit. There have been other losses, lives and friendships which have really hurt over the past 12 months. Of course, life has not all been doom and gloom! I became engaged to my best friend in the whole wide world, took a lovely road trip and met some wonderful new friends after starting this blog. I am so grateful to have anyone reading my words and looking at my pictures, and there are so many of you?! I do not know how you got here, or why you stay. I am so thankful that you are there with your kind words of support and eyes open to my rambling chatter. I've made some special friends right here.


BUT. I am opening my arms wide to 2013, and while I do not believe in resolutions, or waiting until a specific date to set goals and objectives for my life, I thought I'd turn over a new leaf and treat January 1 the way so many others do, like a fresh start. I've created a list of goals (not resolutions) that I hope to achieve in the next 12 months. Some are big (for me) and some are just little reminders to stop and breathe. I want to be productive in 2013, and in 12 months time, be able to reflect on some real, tangible achievements. Some of my goals may contradict each other in practice, and perhaps they are aiming a little high, but I figure, what's the worst that can happen? I only fulfil 60% of them? I'd rather aim for a challenge, that's the whole point, right? Here's to a year of progress, productivity and love.

1. Quit my day job
2. Play my bass for at least 1 hour each week.
3. Learn to play a new instrument (piano, violin, ukelele?)
4. Take at least 10 dance classes
5. Go camping
6. Write one song per month
7. Finish music room renovation
8. Take an overseas holiday
9. Sew a dress from scratch
10. De-clutter
11. Listen to more music
12. Take at least one day off each fortnight
13. Get my lomo LC-A fixed
14. Shoot at least 6 rolls of film
15. Sleep at least 6 hours each night
16. Read at least 12 books
17. Keep my little garden going
18. Walk to the river near my house (It's about 15km round trip)
19. Frame and hang some artwork
20. Make a new friend
21. Keep a "Good Things" jar
22. Meditate daily (even if it's for 10 minutes)
23. Spend more 'quality' time with C. Dinners, movies, day trips, walks - that kind of thing
24. Go on a picnic somewhere new

I started to write a little description about why I chose each goal, but I really don't want to bore you with it! I should note that these are not in order either! Spending time with C is definitely more important than fixing my lomo, OK? I have a few more related to my well-being and fitness, but they are really lifestyle decisions and not goals, so I didn't really feel like it was appropriate to add them above.
Wish me luck. It's a daunting list. I'll reflect on it to myself once each month so I can keep track of how I'm travelling, I might give you an update once every 3-6 months along the way too. When I read over it though, I think it's definitely achievable, I just need to stay focused and remember to relax too!

How crazy is this picture? It looks like the sparklers are eyebrows over some huge eyes.

Did you make any resolutions or goals for 2013? I'd love to hear them. 

Kitty
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Etsy